Custom Search

10.01.2005

The Hanged Man

Hey everyone, out there, in the land of the lost....
hehheh... anyway, moving on. Sorry I haven't been posting so much, y'all prolly don't want to hear my excuses so I won't give them. Here's an update on the projects, the font hasn't moved much, conceptually the mask is almost done, and the custom stamp shaping is done... I just gotta try it, and then adjust whatever I need to adjust. But that's not what I wanted to talk about, so ~> moving on.

I'm sitting here thinking about various "coincidences" in my life, and I know why I chose my lucky number of 12. Then I thought about its overall significance in various different realms of the world, starting looking a few things up... and you know what I found. I was talking to an old friend of mine and we got into a conversation about tarot cards... so I was like "huh? What’s the 12th card?" and I never looked it up, then I was making my way back from my weekly trip to Best Buy and saw a book entitled The Twelfth Card. On the cover was a man hanging upside down, bound by his feet "then I was like alright now I gotta look this up." The twelfth tarot card is The Hanged Man. I can see now a lot of people would see this as a negative thing and turn away, but y'all should know by now I never turn down knowledge. I read a few pages on the internet and stumble across meaning for The Hanged Man, and what to think when it shows up. I took a look at many different websites and I stumbled across this web page (http://www.learntarot.com/maj12.htm) that's pretty comprehensive. I think I could be The Hanged Man, just seems to fit me quite well. When reading Tarot Cards there's actions, and opposing actions, and reinforcing actions. Well when this card shows up in certain places it gives a number of different things: (quoted from the website I gave out earlier)
letting go
having an emotional release
accepting what is
surrendering to experience
ending the struggle
being vulnerable and open
giving up control
accepting God's will
reversing
turning the world around
changing your mind
overturning old priorities
seeing from a new angle
upending the old order
doing an about-face
suspending action
pausing to reflect
feeling outside of time
taking time to just begiving up urgency
living in the momentwaiting for the best opportunity
sacrificing
being a martyr
renouncing a claim
putting self-interest aside
going one step back to go two steps forward
giving up for a higher cause
putting others first

all this is very "coincidental," but it seems like I follow this pretty closely. Some highlights that I see are... wow where do I begin... it's like all of them reflect me. As I see it, while I'm getting comfortable with my own skin I'm falling into what I'm suppose to become. I never listened to the birthday symbols and yearly animals, but even those are reflecting my personality. [More on that later.] But this Tarot Card thing is got me going. The twelfth card pretty much describes me, in all situations how I react is somewhere on that list. This description at the bottom seems like it would be telling a story or pathway that'd logically walk:

[The Hanged Man is one of the most mysterious cards in the tarot deck. It is simple, but complex. It attracts, but also disturbs. It contradicts itself in countless ways. The Hanged Man is unsettling because it symbolizes the action of paradox in our lives. A paradox is something that appears contradictory, and yet is true. The Hanged Man presents to us certain truths, but they are hidden in their opposites.

The main lesson of the Hanged Man is that we "control" by letting go - we "win" by surrendering. The figure on Card 12 has made the ultimate surrender - to die on the cross of his own travails - yet he shines with the glory of divine understanding. He has sacrificed himself, but he emerges the victor. The Hanged Man also tells us that we can "move forward" by standing still. By suspending time, we can have all the time in the world.

In readings, the Hanged Man reminds us that the best approach to a problem is not always the most obvious. When we most want to force our will on someone, which is when we should release. When we most want to have our own way, which is when we should sacrifice. When we most want to act, that is when we should wait. The irony is that by making these contradictory moves, we find what we are looking for.]

Hehheh... I just pretty much gave you to whole page... but eh... as long as I quoted it. Anyway, the twelfth card is just a reminder of who I'm possibly becoming or what has already been happening, it's crazy. And there's just no way [for me anyway] that this is a coincidence, it just can't be that way. I'd say think about your favorite number and see its significance in other realms, you might find something along the same lines as I did. Anyways, I gotta go to my parent's house early tomorrow... so I bid thee good night. Until next time... Out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I believe in coincidence. But I do think I believe in timing, placement, and preparation.